University architecture is a key element in understanding the development and changes of a university. Buildings represent basic infrastuctures, as well as being carriers of institutional identity.
Chr. H. Grosch designed the Observatory, the Palm House in the Botanical Garden and the university complex in the Oslo city center.
The University’s Astronomical Observatory from 1833 is one of the first buildings designed for the University of Oslo. It played an important part in defining a modern nation.
In 1902, the University’s three museums dedicated to cultural history moved into a brand new museum building in the style of Art Nouveau.
When it opened in 1932, the University School of Pharmacy at Blindern was one of Norway’s most radical buildings.
The new buildings for the Faculty of Social Sciences were completed in 1967, as a part of the development of the University campus of Blindern.